« May 15, 2005 - May 21, 2005 | Main | May 29, 2005 - June 4, 2005 »

May 28, 2005

Rep. Charles Rangel (D-NY) Calls For Military Draft

Congressman Charles Rangel (D-NY) has reintroduced legislation to reinstate the military draft.

"I oppose the war in Iraq, but I support the military and the men and women who serve in it," Rangel said.  "What is happening now indicates to me that the entire volunteer system is in danger of collapse under the weight of the burden  being placed on those who are serving."

Under Rangel's bill all men and women between the ages of 18 and 26 would be required to serve in the military. The length of active duty service would be reduced to 15 months. And deferments for education would be permitted only for students under the age of 21 still finishing high school.

"The longer we stay in Iraq and the more Americans  are killed, and the less attractive military service appears to potential recruits, the closer the country will move toward a decision on the draft," Rangel said. "The American people lost confidence in this war long ago, and now that parents are discouraging their children from volunteering, we are faced with a situation in which the most disadvantaged young people from areas of high unemployment will be even more likely to carry the greatest share of the burden."

Last year the House overwhelmingly rejected Rangel's proposal by a vote of 404-2.

More from CounterRecruiter.net
on the possible return of the military draft.

Posted by MikeBurke on May 28, 2005 | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack

Congressman Calls For GAO Investigation Over Military Recruiting Tactics

From the Office of Rep. Pete Stark: Yesterday, US Rep. Pete Stark (D-CA, 13th) offered an amendment to the 2006 Defense Authorization bill requiring the Government Accountability Office (GAO) to report to Congress several aspects of illegal and improper military recruiting tactics. The amendment passed, as did the bill. Senate action is expected in the next few weeks.

With the reality of the Iraq war discouraging young Americans from joining the military, U.S. Army recruiters have resorted to appalling tactics in an attempt to boost their numbers of new recruits. Recruiters have recently been caught showing teenagers how to create a fake high school diploma and telling them what products to buy to pass a drug test.

“Because the Iraq war is suppressing military enlistment, military recruiters are now using illegal and improper tactics to enlist soldiers,” Stark said. “This study will reveal how widespread the problem is and how high up the chain of command the pressure to break the law is coming from. We must not allow the military to continue its track record of shielding its highest officials from responsibility.”

Posted by MikeBurke on May 28, 2005 | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack

Leave My Child Alone

Working Assets -- along with Acorn and a group called Mainstreet Moms Operation Blue -- has launched the website LeaveMyChildAlone.org in order to fight the provision inside the No Child Left Behind Act that forces schools to hand over student information to recruiters unless parents opt out of the deal.

The group is organizing "Opt Out house parties" across the country on June 1.

Meanwhile in Vermont, the Rutland Herald reports that nearly 10 percent of the student body at Rutland High School has opted off of recruitment lists.

Posted by MikeBurke on May 28, 2005 | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

May 26, 2005

37 Military Recruiters Go AWOL

From Robert Novak's new column: "Retired Army Lt. Col. Charles Krohn got himself in trouble with his superiors as a Pentagon civilian public affairs official during the first 3-1/2 years of the Bush administration by telling the truth. He is still at it in private life. He says not to blame the military recruiters for the current recruiting 'scandal.' Blame the war.

"'Army recruiting is in a death spiral, through no fault of the Army,' Krohn told me. Always defending uniformed personnel, he resents hard-pressed recruiters being attacked for offering unauthorized benefits to make quotas. In a recent e-mail sent to friends (mostly retired military), Krohn complained that the 'Army is having to compensate for a problem of national scope'...

"But the focus at the Defense Department has been on the excesses of desperate recruiters, 37 of whom reflected their frustration in trying to meet quotas by going AWOL over the last 2-1/2 years. The official response was a 24-hour stand-down in recruiting to review proper procedures. It also has been proposed that enlistments, now usually three to four years with a minimum of 24 months, be cut to 15 months."

Posted by MikeBurke on May 26, 2005 | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack